What Children Can Teach Us

>> Wednesday, July 25, 2012

"Every child you encounter is a divine appointment." {Wess Stafford}

"Only where children gather is there any real chance of fun." {Mignon McLaughlin}

"There can be no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats its children." {Nelson Mandela}

"Children are our most valuable resource." {Herbert Hoover}

"Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven." {Henry Ward Beecher}


That's just a small sampling of the many, many things have been said about children. Whether you are a parent, a grandparent, or someone who has interacted with children in various settings, you know how trying children can be for your sanctification (*wink*). Although children certainly can be a handful, there are a great many things we "older folks" can learn from them.

Scripture has plenty to say about this.


Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
{Psalm 127:3}

Children are blessings from the Lord, and are to be treated accordingly. If God has entrusted children to your care, He has given you the privilege of being responsible for the lives - both physical and spiritual - of those little blessings.


Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. 
{Proverbs 22:6}

If you are a parent, you are responsible for your child's growth and development - physical, emotional, spiritual, and in every other aspect. Yes, this includes training and instruction, but they also learn by example and observation. You know the saying: "Actions speak louder than words." Children are watching you and learning from you, even if you aren't always conscious of it. Someone has said, "Children are great imitators. So give them something great to imitate."


Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. 
{Proverbs 22:15}

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. 
{Proverbs 23:13}

A child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame. 
{Proverbs 29:15}

Children are fallen, sinful people, just like we "older folks" are. Discipline is a necessary aspect of biblical parenthood in order to raise children who fear God, obey authority and respect others. However, this does not justify abuse or neglect. It must be done in such a way that the child understands it is being done out of love for him/her.



Jesus had much to say regarding children.


At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, ad said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. {Matthew 18:1-6}


Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. {Mark 10:15}

Children have a simple, humble faith and trust in those they love (parents, grandparents, older siblings, etc). They have a confident expectation that those who love them will take care of them. That's the kind of faith Jesus tells us is part of the process of salvation.


Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. {Matthew 19:13-14}

And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them. {Mark 10:13-14, 16}

Jesus chided the disciples for trying to keep the children away from Him. They were just as important to Him as the adults He was ministering to.



Children bring a tremendous amount of joy and laughter wherever they go, and that certainly is a blessing. God manifests His sense of humor through the amusing things children do and say. Some of the funniest things I've ever heard have come from the mouths of children.

When children are selfish and/or disobedient, it can certainly try our patience as we seek to discourage such behavior, discipline them for it (when necessary), and try to encourage obedient, others-focused behavior. Such times serve as a sobering rebuke about how we treat God and/or respond to His commands sometimes.

A Little Child

The nature of a little child, I simply could not see
How such a nature could become a part of me.
The pride of years would never let my Savior to the Throne,
But crowned me King and kept me where I reigned, just I alone.

This pride, oh, what a horrid thing! Kept me from bending low,
So, through the Kingdom's door, you see, I simply could not go.
Thus all the beauty of His realm was on the other side;
Oh, what I missed, oh, what I lacked, because of my old pride!

Then, oh the wonder of that day, I saw what I should do;
I said, "Lord Jesus, I step down and give the throne to You."
And so when I by faith obeyed, a miracle of grace,
Within this haughty heart of mine, that moment did take place.

For all at once I knew, I felt humble and meek and mild,
And saw that God had given me the nature of a child.
Now, would I, dare I, could I try once more the Kingdom's door?
I longed to, yet it looked so low, so near unto the floor.

But beckoned by the pierced Hand which had removed my sin,
Upon my knees, now weak and small a child, I entered in.
I entered in, oh bless the day, I entered through that door,
And all His Kingdom lay ahead for children to explore.

And so, diminished as I am, stripped of all else but grace,
I live, a trusting little child, and look upon His face.
And now there is but One supreme who rules and wears the crown,
And that great miracle began the moment I stepped down.




Now it's your turn: do you have any additional thoughts or insights? What other lessons can you think of that the Lord has taught you through children? Leave a comment below!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP