Praise: A Sacrifice Well-Pleasing

>> Thursday, July 5, 2012

A missionary in China was living a defeated life. Everything about him seemed to be touched with sadness. Although he prayed many months for victory over depression and discouragement, no answer came. He determined to leave his post and go to an interior station where he could be quiet and spend long hours in prayer. Upon reaching the place, he was brought into the home of a fellow missionary. On the wall of his bedroom hung this motto: "Try Praising." He took that motto to heart and began praising. His discouragement and depression vanished almost immediately.

David was forced to hide from his enemies in the barren wilderness of Judah. He cried out to God to help him with his loneliness and discouragement.

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; to see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: when I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. {Psalm 63:1-7}
Paul and Silas were humiliated, falsely accused, stripped, beaten, and placed in stocks in a filthy cell. Despite the circumstances, they prayed and sang praises to God.
And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. {Acts 16:25}
You may not be able to praise the Lord for your circumstances, but you can praise Him for who He is. 
I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. {Psalm 9:1}
 I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable. {Psalm 145:1-3}
Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being. {Psalm 146:1-2}
Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. {Psalm 150}

Your praise is a sacrifice well-pleasing to God. 
Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely. {Psalm 147:1}
By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. {Hebrews 13:15} 



Are you depressed or discouraged about difficulties you are facing? Try praising.

Praise unlocks heaven's portals;
Praise causes doubts to cease;
Praise brings precious blessings;
Praise leaves the sweetest peace.

Praise breaks all bonds asunder;
Praise sets the captives free;
Praise lightens every burden;
Praise is the master key.

Praise changes circumstances;
Praise establishes the heart;
When praise becomes perpetual,
Praise is a Holy Art.
                           Frances Metcalf



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP