The Importance of Relationships

>> Friday, August 3, 2012

Over the course of this week, God has been teaching me a lot about the importance of relationships through sermons/prayer meeting, through conversations with friends, and through my study of the Word. God has brought this subject to my attention almost every day this week through those avenues, for which I am thankful. It has caused me to realize just how far I've let myself slide in this area.

In the book of Ecclesiastes, Solomon tells us:
Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. {Ecclesiastes 4:9-12}
I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to try to do challenging things on my own, even when I know I can't take on a (two-person) project that's way over my head (no pun intended, of course ;) ) or pull myself up by my spiritual bootstraps when I'm losing a spiritual battle. Solomon is right in saying that "two are better than one;" a good relationship of any kind provides companionship, accountability and support. Whenever I choose to reject those who desire to help me - "thanks, but I can handle this myself" - I am rejecting the God-ordained support network relationships provide and am displaying an attitude of pride in the process. 

Paul reminds us in Hebrews 10 about the importance of maintaining solid relationships with fellow believers.
And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. {Hebrews 10:24-25}
In the context of this verse, the word "provoke" doesn't mean doing or saying things to "provoke" someone to anger or irritation. Rather, it's more the idea of "stimulating" or "encouraging" one another. It's extremely hard, nigh impossible, to stimulate or encourage yourself in this way. God made us to need other people to fellowship with, to encourage and be encouraged in return. That's part of the beauty of being part of the body of Christ. 

There is, of course, a problem if you allow your need for people to become bigger than (or entirely replace) your need for God. But that doesn't mean we should feel guilty or ashamed for needing help, encouragement, or fellowship, and shun relationships altogether. There is a godly balance between these extremes.

It's important to remember that those who encourage you have need to be encouraged sometimes too; those who help you sometimes need help as well; those who pray for you also need to be prayed for. Good, healthy relationships are a "two-way street." Don't always wait for them to come to you first. Show your love for them by sincerely asking how they are doing. Find some ways you can be a blessing to them. Choose to exercise the "brotherly kindness" Paul talks about in 2 Peter 1.

It's so easy to overlook the importance of relationships. Life gets busy and we let our relationships slide. Some of us are just plain forgetful and we don't always remember to keep in touch with others. Other times, if we're honest with ourselves, we just don't want to take the time to find out how someone is really doing. We leave it at "How are you?" "I'm good, how are you?" "Good." (Grammatically incorrect, and usually not true, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here. :P )

Make the effort to spend time with a friend you haven't seen in awhile. Reconnect with a relative you haven't talked to since that last family get-together. Call that sibling who lives on the other side of the country. Reply to that email your grandmother sent this morning that you told yourself you "didn't have time" to respond to. Come alongside someone whom you know is going through a hard time.

Relationships aren't perfect, because humans aren't perfect, but they are gifts from One Who is perfect. Don't neglect them. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP