Swept Away

>> Tuesday, August 28, 2012



I recently started a chronological Bible reading program, where you read the Bible in the historical order of events. I've never tried this kind of approach before, so I thought I'd give it a go.

This week's reading plan has focused on the book of Job. It inspired me to write the following . . . poem? . . . song? . . . I'm not entirely sure how to categorize it. Whatever it is, I hope it will encourage you to look to the One Who has all the answers.


Swept Away
 Feels like I’m swimming upstream, I can’t catch my breath
Everything I was holding onto has been swept away
Why have You ignored my cries for help?
Why have I become a burden to You?
Why don’t You take my pain away?
Why do You answer my tears with silence? 

Where did I go wrong?
Don’t You see what’s happening to me?
Remember that my life is a breath
I’m swept away in the blink of an eye
For when a few years have come and gone
I’ll go to where I can’t return
Who will praise You then?

How long will You let them torment me
And tear me to pieces with heartless words?
Can’t You see what they’re doing to me?
Seems like I’m all alone in this battle
Why aren’t You here to protect me?
I can’t keep keeping on like this
It’s too much for me to take
My song has been silenced in the darkness of despair

I will question you, and you will answer Me
Where were you when I made the earth?
Have you commanded the morning since your birth?
Do you know the secret springs of the sea?
Have you walked in the deep places of the earth?
Have you seen the gates of Hell, or touched the windows of Heaven?
Tell me, if you know all this

Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
And where is the house of darkness?
Have you seen where the snow and hail are stored?
Can you send forth rain to nourish the earth?
Answer me, if you can

Do you give the horses their strength?
Is the wild ox your servant?
Do you provide the raven its prey to feed its young ones?
Have you caught Leviathan with a hook, or tamed Behemoth with a leash?
Will you contend with Yahweh, fault-finder?
Will you give an answer, you who argue with God?

I lay my hand on my mouth – how can I answer You? 
I know that You can do all things, and no will of Yours can be thwarted
I’ve spoken about what I don’t understand, things too wonderful for me to comprehend
Now I see You, and I repent in dust and ashes
I’m awe-struck, captivated, swept away by You
Blessed be Your Name!


"Blessed be the name of the LORD."
Job 1:21b


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP