Bible Reading... What Do You Do?

>> Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
{Psalm 119:105}


Christians know the importance of spending time in God's Word on a daily basis. Scores of verses within the pages of the Bible reinforce this vital part of a Christian's relationship with God. Countless men of God have preached countless sermons on this topic. But...how does one go about reading the Bible, exactly? 

I have heard many different "plans" and "schedules" for reading the Bible during personal time alone with God. These include, but are not limited to: reading through the Bible in a year, reading through the Bible in 6 months, reading through the Bible in 3 months, reading through the Bible chronologically, reading one book of the Bible every day for a month, and reading through the Bible by topic, to name a few.

With all these different methods for reading the Bible, how you know which one is the "right" one? 

I do not believe there is one "right" method for reading the Bible. God made us all unique, with unique rates of reading and absorbing information. You might want to try several different plans over a period of time to see which one(s) compliment your unique, God-given abilities. For several years I used a plan to read through the Bible in a year. Starting on January 1st of this year, I decided to challenge myself a bit more and started a 6-month plan for reading through the entire Bible, which (Lordwilling) I will finish at the end of June. I have enjoyed using both of these methods, and hope to try others to enhance my study of the Word.

Whatever plan/method you use, the result is the same: you are drinking in the precious words of our amazing God, and that is truly an awesome gift! 

Please leave a comment below with a response to these questions: What plans and/or methods have you used in your personal study? Which ones did you like and why? 








2 comments:

Unknown June 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM  

I've used them all as well, but my favorite thing to do is pray and say " Okay God, What do I need to hear today?" 85% of the time I open my Bible to find some encouraging words, but that other percentage of time I'm left wondering if there's a different meaning to the words that when I call or text someone else who I know might have some answers. theology students are good for something! haha

Myrna Moore June 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM  

That's awesome, Keshia! :) Praise the Lord!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP