"Where is your faith?"

>> Sunday, November 10, 2013


Do you ever have those times when it's blatantly obvious what God is teaching and/or reminding you?

That has been the story of my life for the last several weeks. God has been using several everyday (and seemingly mundane) events and activities in my life - conversations with friends and loved ones, passages I've "happened" to read during my devotions, etc. - to make it crystal clear that I have a lot of growing to do in a particular area of my walk with Him.

That area would be faith.

From a purely human perspective, it seems like nearly everything in my life hasn't "gone according to plan" (ie. "gone wrong") lately, and I have allowed that to cause worry and discouragement in my mind and heart. Sure, I know the (now almost cliche) Christian catch phrases and Bible verses we commonly use when we feel this way: "all things work together for good...," "It's in God's hands," "God knew this would happen before I was born," "God won't give you anything you can't handle," etc.

But do I truly, genuinely, without reserve, believe that?

After taking an honest look at how I have handled life's "curve balls" over the last several weeks, I have to say the answer is no.

God has allowed me to experience a storm of trying circumstances. His intention has been, not to drown me, but to strengthen my faith. Like Peter, I have chosen to look at the wind and the waves and forget the One who orchestrated their design. I have sunk into the sea of worry and anxiety more than once, but God has always pulled me up and helped me continue to walk on that tempestuous sea towards Him.

We may fret over how the bills are going to be paid when our bank balance is low, when we'll get that raise we've been waiting for, when we'll meet "the one," etc - that's normal. It's normal for us as humans to want to know what the future holds so we can be prepared. We don't like to be taken by surprise (well, some of us might...but I digress). We can't see what the future holds, but we know the One who holds the future. God won't allow anything to happen to us outside of His will. And that. my friend, is a truly comforting thought.


Father, 

I don't know how these seemingly impossible things are going to work out. I don't know where the money is going to come from to pay my bills. I don't know how or where I'm going to find work. I can't see how these things are right now working for good and going to work for good in the future, but I know You do. Thank You for taking care of my every need, even the ones that don't cross my mind. 

Please calm my anxious heart. Increase my faith.  Help me keep my eyes off the stormy sea of doubt, fear and worry and on You instead so I may walk on water in the faith and peace only You can give. 



"But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" Matthew 14:30-31




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP